7 October 2018

The Day of The Brain Injury. The Accident David Waters

The Brain Injury Occurred Jan 1990 A day Never to be Forgotten, 

Never liking to forget anything important is about as important not to forget anything.
When you forget something, it’s very annoying and you know at 3am you will wake up and remember or get into the car “Oh, dam I have to lock the back door then find out it was locked.

It doesn’t really matter after all it’s just a moment in time. Well, let's have a look at what it would be like, waking up and not even remembering your name.

Here is my story of what happens when you don’t remember your life, your reason for been on earth. Then, the buildings to re-educate oneself from scratch.

Arriving in Australia Independence day 1988 looking with a view of a new way of life. This is something of a new life not to expect. Fast forward now to 1990

Been a Diesel mechanic in New Zealand it was obvious to do the same trade in Australia until maybe one day changing my roles. Now here comes the twist.

Just after New Years day 1990 I was to travel to a mine site to help the guys with several diesel generator engines, which ran the local town and a large underground mine.
This chapter is all going on, what I was told happened. It’s as accurate as possible.
It was one of those 45-Celsius days hot and dry no clouds in the sky a normal day on a mine site some 400 Kilometres North of Kalgoorlie WA Australia.
This day included driving to another mine site a few miles away, check out a diesel generator and then return back to the site we were working in. Just in time for lunch.
That morning it was decided to get a rental car as the old truck had problems. Not bad for a workshop hack. Today it was a bit of style a brand new Ford Falcon very low distance on the clock. When my boss gave me the keys he said whatever you do don’t scratch it. Famous last words as you will soon gather.

Good Journeys are Built by Positive Action Now
Well I had driven to the other mine did what ever checks and it all happened on the return. Somewhere, on returning to base, on a smooth dirt road. For some reason I ran off the road. It was unusual as it was on a long sweeping corner if you were to speed you would run off the road to the outside of the corner but in this case I ran off the inside.
The car rolled 3 times end for end and landed on its wheels.

Shortly after a guy had come across the scene and evidently all I wanted to do was get out of the car. (I have no recollection of this). He stopped me from doing this and had to keep me in the car. The flying doctors were called to take me to hospital, as I looked pretty bad.

The whole time all I wanted to do was get out stand up and walk or whatever it was.
The flying doctors arrived and took me to Kalgoorlie hospital, which was about 350 kilometres south. It was the closest hospital to the scene. 
About 400 Kilometres away. 
The story goes all I wanted to do was move and told a lot of jokes, which is funny as remembering jokes, is not my best trick.

It turned out they took one look at me and decided to send me to Perth WA which is the main city in the state and has a spinal unit.

While in Kalgoorlie hospital they stitched up a lot of my head, which was bleeding, they were not in a position to do anything due to my state of health. Then flown to Perth to the Intensive care unit before been moved to the spinal unit.

Before the next chapter and my story it must be noted about the accident.
  • No reason was given for the accident
  • It was a one car accident
  • No alcohol or drugs were found in tests
  • The car was a total write off
  • The police put it down as an act of God
  • There was no trace I tried to avoid a kangaroo etc.
  • There was nothing found wrong with the car
Good Journeys are Built by Positive Action Now
Then life restarted started.
I think of it as

  1. Day 
  2. 1 Week 1 
  3. Year 1 
“Who me, never it must be someone else”
See it did have one good point.

Which means a complete new start. Funny if I did something wrong in the last 30 years can honestly now say I was kept in critical care till the brain swelling subsided and they understood more about the spinal injury to c5 & c6 (neck level with the shoulders)

Watch out for the next part coming soon

No comments:

Post a Comment